Welcome back. We hope that the upcoming year will be a memorable one for you and your students. We are very excited that the Belle Vernon Area and Elizabeth Forward School Districts will serve as the co-hosts for the 2014 PMEA District 1 Honors Choir Festival. Please read the following information carefully regarding the Festival and auditions. In order for your students to participate, you must be an active member of PMEA with current dues paid in full.
The festival will be held at Seton Hill University Performing Arts Center in Greensburg, PA on Friday, October 24 and Saturday, October 25 with the final performance at 2:00PM on Saturday afternoon. We will continue to follow the same structure as in the past few years with two separate choirs; an Honors Women's Choir and an Honors Men's Choir. The guest conductors for the Festival will be Dr. Peggy Dettwiler, director of choirs at Mansfield University conducting the Honors Women's Choir and Dr. Christopher Kiver, director of choirs at Penn State University conducting the Honors Men's Choir. Both conductors are well respected in the choral community and we look forward to seeing them work with all of our students.
Please note the following PMEA District 1 Honors Choir AUDITION information:
Date: Monday, September 22, 2014
Location: South Fayette High School
3640 Old Oakdale Road
McDonald, PA 15057
Registration: 3:00-4:30 pm in the theatre lobby
Director's Meeting: 4:30 pm in the choral room
Auditions: 5:00 pm
Cost: $5.00 per student due at registration
**PMEA MEMBERSHIP CARD AND DIRECTOR FESTIVAL FORM REQUIRED @ REGISTRATION
AUDITION PIECE: Exsultate Deo by Allessandro Scarlatti edited by Norman Greyson, SATB, Bourne Co., Inc.
REHEARSAL TRACK: Available on-line compliments of Angie Berna Milliren. To access go to: http://www.efsd.net/webpages/amilliren/pmead1.cfm Questions? Email Angie at email@example.com.
FORMS FOR FESTIVAL: All forms and further communication will be made available on our google drive. Please forward all emails with festival question or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org
Audition registration will begin at 3:00PM, the director meeting will begin at 4:30PM and auditions will begin promptly at 5:00PM. Students should report to the theatre and directors may report to the choral room, where food and beverages will be provided (Directors are asked to pay $5.00 each to offset the cost of the food). Students may purchase food at the theatre reception booth.
Please take a few moments to email Chris Elek (email@example.com) the following information by Wednesday, September 10, so that she may better prepare for the auditions:
- Teacher Name and email contact information
- Approximate number of students attending
- Dietary restrictions for students and/or directors, if any.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding auditions, please contact Chris by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone: (412) 221-4542, ext. 694. Any questions or concerns regarding the festival should be directed to Michael at email@example.com or Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few quick reminders about auditions:
- There is a $5 audition fee per student to audition. Checks made payable to: PMEA District 1.
- STUDENTS MUST HAVE ORIGINAL COPIES OF THE AUDITION PIECE. PHOTOCOPIES ARE NOT PERMITTED.
- A starting pitch only will be given by the pitch pipe and like voice. We do not give students a count-off for them to begin.
- Restart: if a student stops before the midpoint, they may restart once from the beginning. Once the student passes the midpoint, they restart from the midpoint with a new pitch sounded for them. Students only receive one restart. They must finish the audition after re-starting.
- In order to be considered for representation, should none of your students be chosen for the choir, you must bring at least two students of different voice parts. Also, remember representation is optional. Numerous directors choose not to have students selected by representation if none make it by audition.
- Results of auditions will be posted on the PMEA website. Directors can check them at their convenience. The website address and password will be given out at the directors' meeting.
- All directors must be present for the entire evening of auditions.
- All music for the festival will be ordered from Musik Innovations and participating directors should plan on some form of payment to Musik Innovations when they receive their music in the week or two following auditions. Festival materials (medical forms, CD information, etc.) will be distributed at the audition meeting on Monday, September 23.
- DON'T FORGET, you must bring a copy of your PMEA Membership Card to the audition.
Angie Berna Milliren