There may be work for the C/I Council to do with this project in the future, in order to make sure that the curriculum is implemented in a way that will allow it to feed into a festival system. However, for now, the first thing we need to do as members of the C/I Council is to spread the word about the trainings and get teachers, especially those at the middle school level, involved in those trainings. Here is what you need to know about the trainings:
1. They will be offered at the following sites and times:
a. April 17, 2019 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM Penn State University
b. April 18, 2019 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM Indiana University of PA
c. April 23, 2019 11:30 AM – 6:30 PM Temple University
d. April 24, 2019 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM Scranton University
e. April 25, 2019 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM Lebanon Valley College
f. May 18, 2019 9:00 AM – 4:30 PM Slippery Rock University
2. Although PMEA’s target audience for these trainings is middle school teachers who want to implement a new Modern Band program within their schools, PMEA members at all levels, including PCMEA, are welcome to attend. This is designed as a stand-alone curriculum, but it can be adapted for use in an existing choral, instrumental, or general music setting.
3. PMEA members who attend are able to earn 6 hours of Act 48 credit.
4. THERE IS NO COST FOR THESE TRAININGS. They are being funded by Little Kids Rock and federal Title I, II, and IV funds. In fact, PMEA will give attendees information to pass along to their school districts about how Title funds can be used to subsidize substitute teacher pay for the day, as well as how to obtain travel reimbursement . THIS MEANS THAT NOT ONLY IS THERE NO COST TO PARTICIPANTS, BUT THERE IS ALSO LITTLE TO NO COST TO THEIR SCHOOL DISTRICTS.
5. Participants will need to pre-register for these trainings. They can do so through the following link: https://www.littlekidsrock.org/for-teachers/apply/. There is also additional information about the Modern Band movement at that site.